CATALYS® Precision Laser System.
The CATALYS® Precision Laser System is indicated for use in patients undergoing cataract surgery for removal of the crystalline lens. Intended uses in cataract surgery include anterior capsulotomy, phacofragmentation, and the creation of single plane and multi-plane arc cuts/incisions in the cornea, each of which may be performed either individually or consecutively during the same procedure.
Femtosecond laser assisted cataract surgery offers a reproducible, noninvasive technique to replace the least predictable and most technically demanding steps of conventional cataract procedures.
Designed for Laser Cataract Surgery.
Designed specifically for laser cataract surgery, the CATALYS® system offers:
- LIQUID OPTICS Interface, gentle docking with minimal intraocular pressure rise and clear optics for excellent imaging and laser delivery
- INTEGRAL GUIDANCE System - proprietary 3D Full Volume Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) and automated surface mapping algorithms that guide laser delivery
- Precise capsulotomies within 30µm
- Complete segmentation and softening of the cataract with adjustable grid sizing
- Multiple corneal incision centration options that are based on anatomical landmarks
The CATALYS® system procedure consists of four steps:
The CATALYS® system includes design features that optimize the precision, safety and control of all four steps of the procedure. Two of the key features that were developed to help surgeons deliver predictability and quality of outcomes are:
LIQUID OPTICS Interface.
The novel two-piece liquid interface docks the patient to the system and is designed to provide:
- A clear optical path for real-time video, OCT imaging, and laser treatment by filling in corneal surface irregularities with liquid, and creating a wide field of view, enabling all cuts to be performed in a single dock.
- A gentle dock for the patient by minimizing the rise in intraocular pressure, which is particularly important for older cataract patients and those with glaucoma, and minimizing scleral contact of the interface with minimal redness of the eye after surgery.
INTEGRAL GUIDANCE System.
During the CATALYS® system procedure, the ocular surfaces are visualized by a proprietary, integrated Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) system. The OCT is enhanced by sophisticated algorithms designed to ensure that the femtosecond laser pulses are delivered precisely to the intended location.
Steps in the INTEGRAL GUIDANCE System process:
- Proprietary, 3D spectral-domain OCT imaging system visualizes the ocular surfaces
- Algorithms process the image, automatically and accurately maps surfaces and create safety zones
- The surgeon’s treatment plan is then customized, based on the patient’s ocular anatomy and the precise orientation of the eye
- After the surgeon confirms the customized treatment plan, the femtosecond laser pulses are delivered precisely to the intended location, maintaining the safety zones.